Moist Melbourne
As I write this, Elsternwick in Melbourne is experiencing a big storm; heavy downpours of rain (downpour? Who am I trying to kid, it's non-stop), lightning, thunder... the works.
I have, I feel, managed to pack reasonably light for a 6 month trip. I resisted the urge to take my 60+15ltr backpack and squeesed everything into 45ltrs worth of space, taking my 15ltr bag as hand luggage, filled with work clothes that I plan to dump upon exiting Oz, thus reducing my luggage back down to 45ltrs. Seasoned travellers amongst you will hopefully realise this is some task I achieved.
I followed the rules and was quite proud of myself, until I got here... the advice was to pack, unpack, halve the luggage, pack again and double the budget planned. It also suggested that a raincoat was unnecessary as, in the event of a heavy downpour (such as the ones I'm currently faced with), even a raincoat would struggle to keep you dry. Instead, it suggests an umbrella. Doh! I should've known from the jeans escapade last time that finding a cheap, small (& therefore portable) umbrella in Melbourne was going to be a massive challenge.
As a result, guess who got caught in this horrendous weather when they set off on their little exploritory trek of Elsternwick this morning? Yep, yours truly. I got caught in the first of these storms that Melbourne has been faced with today. Lightning flashed overhead, and those who know me will know I am not the world's biggest fan of thunder or lightning, especially if I'm out in it. So in a way I was glad I didn't have an umbrella so I couldn't be struck by a bolt of electricity coming from the sky, but my hoody has not been enough to keep me dry. Somehow I think a coat would not have failed as miserably so perhaps it's time to invest in an emergency poncho and face the expense of an umbrella. :(
Since writing that last part, the weather has improved and today I found myself a small cheap umbrella. It was only $5 (about £3) so it will probably break at the first sign of a hailstorm, but at that price I don't care, it's better than nothing!
Laterz dooooods.
xXx
I have, I feel, managed to pack reasonably light for a 6 month trip. I resisted the urge to take my 60+15ltr backpack and squeesed everything into 45ltrs worth of space, taking my 15ltr bag as hand luggage, filled with work clothes that I plan to dump upon exiting Oz, thus reducing my luggage back down to 45ltrs. Seasoned travellers amongst you will hopefully realise this is some task I achieved.
I followed the rules and was quite proud of myself, until I got here... the advice was to pack, unpack, halve the luggage, pack again and double the budget planned. It also suggested that a raincoat was unnecessary as, in the event of a heavy downpour (such as the ones I'm currently faced with), even a raincoat would struggle to keep you dry. Instead, it suggests an umbrella. Doh! I should've known from the jeans escapade last time that finding a cheap, small (& therefore portable) umbrella in Melbourne was going to be a massive challenge.
As a result, guess who got caught in this horrendous weather when they set off on their little exploritory trek of Elsternwick this morning? Yep, yours truly. I got caught in the first of these storms that Melbourne has been faced with today. Lightning flashed overhead, and those who know me will know I am not the world's biggest fan of thunder or lightning, especially if I'm out in it. So in a way I was glad I didn't have an umbrella so I couldn't be struck by a bolt of electricity coming from the sky, but my hoody has not been enough to keep me dry. Somehow I think a coat would not have failed as miserably so perhaps it's time to invest in an emergency poncho and face the expense of an umbrella. :(
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Since writing that last part, the weather has improved and today I found myself a small cheap umbrella. It was only $5 (about £3) so it will probably break at the first sign of a hailstorm, but at that price I don't care, it's better than nothing!
Laterz dooooods.
xXx

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home