Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Wobblepop's Week

Sorry it's been so long since I last wrote! Not had a chance to sit down and write a proper blog update.


It is currently 5th October here and very nearly time to go get me some lunch.


Since I last wrote I have failed miserably at Plan A: to get a job. So I've moved on with Plan B: go somewhere I haven't been! That's right, for the benefit of those not on Facebook, I am heading to Adelaide for a few days, leaving a week today. At least, I hope I am. I'm going on a very budget airline (Tiger Airways), the tickets cost me less than £50 (very cheap). However, I have read some shocking reviews and they're all dated within the last week, so we'll just have to see. On the plus side, they appear to go to the right airports, unlike Ryan Air!


I rang around for Admin work to keep me going until Chris arrives, but there is nothing available for a few weeks, by which time I want to be making the most of my travel. So I've put that idea to rest, unless something magnificent comes up in the next few days (I'm still checking out the job ads etc). 


I spoke to my friend Karen from Darwin, who I met last time I was here. She is in Adelaide for a couple of weeks so that's why I'm heading there next week. I've not been to Adelaide before so it should be a good few days. I leave next Tuesday and then return on the same day that Chris is due to arrive in Oz (I hope Tiger don't screw this up for me or there could be all sorts of repercussions!)...


Since I last wrote I have mainly been meandering around Melbourne's laneways, shops & Markets. I have moved in with Sally & Ross, the lovely couple who 'adopted' me from the local church. I have met many of their friends and family and it has been a pleasure staying with them. Sally took me to South Melbourne market, which is a smaller market where we ate some amazing Dim Sim for $1.60 (less than £1) which filled me up for the whole afternoon. I also had dinner at Bronwyn & Simon's, Bronwyn was another lady to take me under her wing at the church. Both have daughters in Europe at present, so I think they took pity! We also went to a Farmer's Market in St Kilda which had lots of amazing cheeses & stalls of various things you'd expect at a farmer's market. I even tried Chai for the first time... not sure if I could drink a whole cup but it is supposed to be very good for colds, which I have managed to obtain since my arrival. Annoying! It didn't really do me any good but I am surviving.


Oh, and of course, I watched the replay of the AFL Grand Final between St Kilda (Saints) and Collingwood (Magpies, or just 'Pies') at the weekend. As Chris commented on a previous post, sadly the Saints did what the Saints so frequently do... they were absolutely dire and lost by a very large margin. I understood more of the rules this time so that made it a bit more interesting, although as far as matches go it wasn't that exciting.


I am staying in a suburb called Elsternwick, a really great location. Very close to public transport, but far enough away from the city that people actually care about their houses and it's a nice neighbourhood (St Kilda has a very mixed population with many drug addicts, prostitutes and worst of all, backpackers)! There are a lot of lovely houses in Melbourne, and there's a lot of apartment blocks. I prefer the old houses personally.


Anyhow, I must go get myself something to eat and warm me up. It turns out Australia really does get cold but at least Victoria is finally out of its drought.


Love, Peace & Dim Sims,
Hannah
xXx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home