Melbourne Update
I just thought I'd update you on my latest movements since arriving in Melbourne. Ok, so there's not actually much to update you on, but for the benefit of those who aren't on/don't check Facebook I thought I'd at least let you know I'm alive!
I'm still job hunting and sort of looking for somewhere a bit more permanent to live rather than the hostel. However, I don't want to do move anywhere until I have a job lined up, and right now there doesn't appear to be too much. Having thought I'd give anything a go, I've changed my mind since arriving here and really don't fancy working in a restaurant or similar in this heat. Which is just as well, as I hear the work is slim at the moment. It reached 44 Degrees C in Melbourne yesterday. Sadly the office jobs seem few and far between too, although I have applied for one (missed the closing date, but at least I was actually pro-active)!
So I have mainly been spending my time conserving energy and money, wandering around Melbourne and meeting many an interesting character! I get the impression I'm not staying in the nicest part of Melbourne and I feel like a snob for saying it but I've turned into a whimp in my old age. I don't mind during the day but it is limiting my night-life as I deliberately don't go out late on my own.
Today I am taking the day to scout agencies (if I can actually find one with any jobs going - looked at 7 so far and nothing, literally no jobs, let alone anything I'd be interested in), catch up with my blog and post some pictures (still not up to date there sorry!). If you're interested, here are all my pictures currently on Facebook. I'm afraid I can't remember what I have or haven't posted so apologies if I'm repeating myself:
Album 2: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=137816&id=669980946&l=602e2911a5
Album 3: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=138048&id=669980946&l=6a3d58f64b
Album 4: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=140716&id=669980946&l=826bfcede6
Album 5: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=145735&id=669980946&l=c423c3653e
Album 6: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=146181&id=669980946&l=ec07a3634c
Album 7: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=146189&id=669980946&l=4fd699c111
Generally I've been quite quiet as the people I have met have been couples or travelling in pairs, but I am currently sharing a room with an Australian lady called Karen and we are going to the cinema tomorrow - we know how to live! She lives in Darwin and even she thinks it's too hot at the moment, so we were planning on making the most of the air con in the cinema!
The hostel has been pretty busy this week too, it appears to have been overtaken by a bunch of girl guides or scouts. The worst thing is, they're all British! I didn't realise they did such exciting things as travelling Australia in such organisations - shouldn't they be at school? Anyhow, it's meant that socialising isn't very practical right now!
Right then, I think that's all I can update you on right now, unless you want to know exact details of every tram ride I've taken! Sorry it's got a bit more boring of late, but all play and no work makes Hannah a very poor girl!
Speak soon
Love, Peace & Jelly Babies (just for you Claire)
Hannah
xXx

3 Comments:
BBC weather headline just stated that 'Melbourne baked in hottest night for over a century'. I bet even you are considering going out without a thick fleece on!
If you could arrange to send just a quarter of the heat over here, we'd be most grateful...
Keep enjoying the tram rides, and good luck on the job hunt.
Hottest night in a century 'eh? That doesn't surprise me but I did manage to avoid a jumper you'll be pleased to know.
It cooled down today - had to revert to the jeans and jumper! When I come back to the UK I would like to request some thermals & blankets on standby for my return.
Hope you're used to life back in the UK now - warm enough for you? x
Hi Hannah, really miss you - love catching up each week on you travels - makes me a little jealous but I know I wouldn't like that heat. Take good care of yourself, Jude x
Post a Comment
<< Home