Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Sydney Special - NYE

After returning from our day trip, we had to head out quite quickly for our New Year's party with Lindsay & Lizette. We were going to a house party of some friend of theirs, which was very hospitable of them. We grabbed a quick bite to eat on the way (Subway, without the full range of bread - boo) and then headed off to meet Lindsay & Lizette. That wasn't without its problems though. We'd arranged to meet them the other side of a foot bridge. We'd bought our hosts an alcoholic gift, and ourselves an alcoholic beveredge to see in the new year. Only, we weren't allowed to cross the bridge on foot with alcohol in our bags. We were told we'd need to get a monorail or taxi, but when we asked for directions to the nearest monorail station the guy was very unhepful and just told us to follow the track. We didn't have time for that so we jumped in a taxi and eventually managed to get to Lindsay's car!

New Year was amazing, I was so glad we had this party to go to. It was very civilised (the hosts are expecting their first child at the end of January). They live in an apartment near Darling Harbour, and their balcony had a pretty good view of the bridge (thankfully the weather had cleared up by then).

I have learnt that NYE isn't as big in Sydney as New Year's Day is. Even those who were drinking didn't overdo it because they had booked into a boat cruise the next day. We saw all the fireworks, although the bridge got a bit covered because of all the smoke created. It was a great atmosphere though. And, there were two sets of fireworks, one at 9pm for the kids, and then the proper ones at 12, plus a token explosion of fireworks every hour leading up to midnight. Interesting countdown, but couldn't help wonder if it was a bit wasteful with the money!?

After the clock struck 12, we hung around for a bit longer and then reasonable early we all headed our seperate ways. Chris & I attempted to return to the hotel after being dropped off in the city. It was at this point that I was very grateful we'd had this house party to go to - the streets were lined with drunken people & police (the police weren't drunk... I don't think) and it was generally manic. I'm sure it would've been a great atmosphere if I'd been a little bit younger, but this holiday has certainly made me realise how much older I've gotten over the last 4 years. I think if I'd had to spend New Year's with all those people, my illusions of Sydney at new year would've been shattered.

As far as location goes, this was probably one of the best. Close enough to see the bridge, not so close that I had to cover my ears from the fireworks. Our hosts were also great company, however I definitely miss a traditional new year with good friends.

Happy New Year to all my old friends, to any new friends, and to anyone else who may be reading this. I hope 2010 is a good one for you!

Take care
xXx

4 Comments:

Anonymous sheepette said...

"old friends"

You may be feeling you;re age but i'm not that old ;-)

Happy new year anywy my dear!

Where's the jelly babies!

6 January 2010 at 17:21:00 GMT  
Blogger wobblepop said...

Not old in age, just more acquainted than some... does that sound any better? Probably not! Well, no offence meant, hopefully quite the opposite - I missed you guys this year even though I was in the middle of Sydney!

The jelly babies are in Cairns and I only stopped there for lunch this time, sorry! x

7 January 2010 at 10:44:00 GMT  
Anonymous sheepette said...

the jelly babies on your sighn off?!

no offense taken really!

8 January 2010 at 11:28:00 GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww I felt teary reading your "good byes" in your later blog dates. Have added Christoph to Twitter and will try to keep his spirits up (double en tendre not intended).
I must admit the snow thing here is starting to irritate and those bizarre characters on the tram, I think they exist on most forms of public transport and in Bristol Library *haha*

8 January 2010 at 14:00:00 GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home