Saturday, November 05, 2005

Dude, where's my car???

G'day!
Can't believe it's been well over a month since I left the UK now. It's now Guy Fawkes night where you are but there's no mention of it over here. It would be kind of weird having a bonfire in such a hot setting though - would probably be kind of dangerous too.

Anyhow, I've now been without a car for a while so I've been learning the Highway code for Pedestrians again. Rule 1, Don't rely on guys from California to keep you safe when looking for traffic when crossing the road!

I took a trip up the Kuranda scenic railway and wandered around the markets, but managed to refrain from buying too much - somehow my backpack seems to have grown even though I sent home all my winter clothes from NZ! Having looked around the markets and lovely village of Kuranda (not to mention sampling the nice milkshakes... mmm), I took a trip down the Sky Ride (Gondola thing, may not be quite the right name) over the rainforest. That was sweet! You don't realise how high you are until you get off one of the stops and see just how tall the trees really are.

I also took a trip to the Esplanade (Louisa, if you read this before you get out here, that's where we're staying), which is the tourist area of Cairns. I went there last night with Doug & Bev's other 2 houseguests, David & Tim, and we took a bit more of a trek. One of the malls was much emptier than I thought it'd be. I'm not sure if that's cuz they were struggling for business or because the tourists were just on the reef. I think it's being developed though so I hope things pick up for them.

We then went for a meal at Hog's Breath which David & Tim had been reliably informed was the best place for a steak. Apparantly the source wasn't all that reliable after all as they weren't so fussed! I had a good cheeseburger though so I won't complain. After that we went to the markets and met a girl from Melbourne. Louisa, I think we're in for a treat when we get there.... she was crazy!

Sue & Trevor are now looking after me well and Sue took me up the coast to Port Douglas today, which was really nice and obviously the posh place to be. Then we came back down taking in some sights of the beaches and stinger nets. It's very windy today so not really beach weather - can't really win with me as I thought it was too hot yesterday!

OH! I can't believe I almost forgot... having said I didn't want to try it, you'll never guess what I ate at Doug & Bev's BBQ the other night?? Yep, Kangaroo meat! It was actually quite nice too, but I had real guilt when I saw a postcard picture of a baby kangaroo (I know, they're Joeys) the next day! Oh, talking about Joey, what is a baby goat called??? Can someone help? Thanks!

I trust you are all well and not too deafened by any firework displays near you. Speak again soon.
Take care & I'll see you all in December (coming around SO fast).
xXx

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a kid hannah!

And now you know what james feels like eating all those burgers then going back to look after his cows...well not really he still does it and doesnt feel guilty cos they wernt one of his.

You'll be happy to know your car makes a lovely centre piece for the bonfire (only baby goating hannah)

Oh, and I suspect graham smells of onions atm

TIP FOR BEACHES: When your too hot get in the water, thats what its there for. When its windy take a kite (hopefuly big enough so you get lifted off the ground every now and then)

I wouldnt expect many more comments in here for a couple of days as apparently we only read this at work so I must be doing overtime :)

Have fun in the sun and dont get too burnt

PS is very sunny here atm so dont tell gav or he'll make it rain again

5 November 2005 at 09:30:00 GMT  
Blogger Martin and Fran said...

I'm not at work, it's a bit hard to type while delivering..

Hannah, go do what i never could while in Cairns; grab some jellyfish and put them in the swimming pool down by the harbour, then sit back and enjoy!

If you get down to Airlie Beach and go around the Whitsunday's, look out on the hill tops for the Hogsbreath Cafe owner and his private mountain resort... and it's not made of steaks.

5 November 2005 at 11:26:00 GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strikes me that some of your friends are even weirder than your family Hannah, although I must admit the Jellyfish in a swimming pool thing sounds quite fun...

Think you'll find gondolas are only called Sky Ride at Alton Towers. Everywhere else, they're just called Gondolas (or cable cars).

I don't think you're going to get much sympathy from those of us here that the beach was too hot yesterday. As Da Sheep said, use the water to cool off. With that lesson learnt, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself more!

Have fun, and see you next month

PS I'm not at work either

5 November 2005 at 12:05:00 GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not quite sure why Graham smells of onions, please explain?

I thought you were horrified at the thought of Louisa eating a cute little Roo then you did it! That and sushi, albeit vegetarian, sounds like travel is broadening your tastes!

5 November 2005 at 14:31:00 GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cathy, see the last posts comments.

5 November 2005 at 17:22:00 GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm if travels broadening her tastes does this mean when she comes to the xmas meal she well eat off the christmas menu not the normal menu? :-)

6 November 2005 at 09:46:00 GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hannah, you do realise Bonfire night is only celebrated in England
mainly due to the fact that Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament in England and therefore Austrailia (and other places abroad) wouldn't care.

6 November 2005 at 10:02:00 GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone that says they are working while they are adding to this blog are quite clearly liars.

:P

7 November 2005 at 08:44:00 GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another Historic note - Australia had not yet been turned into a prison colony 400 years ago - the aborigines had it all to themselves so didn't need to blow up parliament - although I expecte they would have helped once they knew what us brits were really like 200 years later!

If Hannah actually eats Turkey on her return I will be amazed (although it may be off the menu for all of us?)

Putting jellyfish in a swimming pool is cruel - the chlorine will sting their eyes.

Happy travelling.

Back to work...

7 November 2005 at 09:14:00 GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get the onion thing now, hadn't re-read the last blog comments.

Ask Louisa if she saw Chris in the Heathrow departure lounge when she arrives. He was catching the 2.30 Air New Zealand flight to Auckland yesterday. Would have been a huge coincidence if they had ended up on the same plane part of the way as he was going via LA too.

Hope she gets there safely - hi Louisa when you read this!

Take care xx

7 November 2005 at 14:26:00 GMT  
Blogger wobblepop said...

Hi Cathy (thank you for my little present)

Louisa did indeed see Chris, I think it was in LA she said! He was sat about 2 rows behind her so I think she went & said hi at the airport. She's now arrived safely in Cairns so we're off to the pool so Louisa can try and catch up with my oh-so-brilliant (not) tan... don't worry, we've packed plenty of high factor sun screen!!

Turkey I probably won't be eating (especially if they don't let you over there now) - bird flu is a bit of a major thing in the news over here too. I've watched more news over here than I ever did in England.

No big spiders or snakes yet, just HUGE bats and beetles!

8 November 2005 at 06:06:00 GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home