Northern Nature
Wow, what a lot of comments, how cool.
Ok, so I've done quite a lot since I last wrote, but possibly the most amazing of all is the cool animals I've seen over here.
Bearing in mind that I've only been to the Kiwi Encounter to see wild animals, I think my list is pretty impressive as I've seen:
Falcons (millions, well quite a few)
Kiwis
Peacock (how weird was that sitting on the fence)
Stoats
Racoons (that's what Sarah & I thought it was dead on the road and we're sticking to it!)
Weasels
Rats
Elephant
Magpie
etc, I won't bore you with the rest.
So, we went up t'north to Cape Reinga as I wanted to get a picture of the signpost pointing to all the areas in the world. Guess what? They'd taken it down while they did some maintenance!!!! I haven't got time to go to the Bluff, so that was a bit of a bad start. Poor Sarah is a little surprised by the lack of civilisation round here (she did spend 5 months in Auckland which was quiet to her) - she thought we could at least get a post card at the top of the North Island, but there was no shop which astounded her.
We stayed in Whangerai (sorry about the incorrect speling, in a bit of a hurry!), and went to Whangarei Falls. Also went to the Whangerei Baptist church which was an interesting experience - I've never felt so old! But the freaky thing was that we'd seen their youth group up at the Cape the day before, weird.
We went to Bay of Islands to go see Dolphins, but sadly Orcha (Killer Whales, incorrectly named as they're actually big dolphins) were passing through so the dolphins were hiding as the Orcha diet consists of most sea creatures, including dolphin. But we did see some of the Orcha instead so that was cool.
I received a txt from Louisa's parents to say they were headed for Bay of Islands the day after us (we probably passed on the State Highway), and I then received another txt to hear they'd seen some, so I'm glad to hear the whales didn't eat them all! Louisa, while I remember, can you apologise to your folks if they didn't get any of my txts, or only some - my phone is not working well over here.
Ok, so after Whangerei we headed back down south, passing through Auckland to see Devonport (or is it Davenport?), so I saw the Sky Tower from another direction which was nice. We then headed for Taupo as we figured this would be pretty central (as central as you can get in NZ at least!). We headed for Rotorua to do some boring bits (like download my 500 photos onto CD). We also went to the Kiwi encounter & I went on the Luge - cool experience. Then went to the smelly park thing (the name escapes me right now, Wai-o-something or another), that was cool but we didn't really have time to finish it off, so we went back the next day to see the Geyser before headed for the Gloworm caves - cool as! Like little fairy lights, very sweet. Then headed to Palmerston North for the night (oh, we did see Lake Taupo briefly too), which brings us up to yesterday.
Today we've been to Wellington and I've been on the cable cars and then onto the tour of Parliament - I've just left Sarah in a museum while I'm here catching up on the net. Everything in the big cities seems to close really early though so I'll be going in a mo.
Quickly though, Granny's reading this??? I assume we aren't being rude about mum here are we!? Mum, don't worry about your lack of txting ability, I don't think anything I've sent has been of great relevence.
Helen & Gnome, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Gnome, sorry I couldn't get you a card from NZ - didn't want to risk the post.
We're off to the South Island tomorrow. Looking forward to that - should be cuz it's expensive to get there!
Right then, til next time, have a great week & take care.
Love, Peace & Jelly Babies,
Hannah
xXx
PS. Veggie Sushi is basically rice with veggies in - I'm not sure I'd have it that often, but at least I can add it to the list of things I've tried!
Ok, so I've done quite a lot since I last wrote, but possibly the most amazing of all is the cool animals I've seen over here.
Bearing in mind that I've only been to the Kiwi Encounter to see wild animals, I think my list is pretty impressive as I've seen:
Falcons (millions, well quite a few)
Kiwis
Peacock (how weird was that sitting on the fence)
Stoats
Racoons (that's what Sarah & I thought it was dead on the road and we're sticking to it!)
Weasels
Rats
Elephant
Magpie
etc, I won't bore you with the rest.
So, we went up t'north to Cape Reinga as I wanted to get a picture of the signpost pointing to all the areas in the world. Guess what? They'd taken it down while they did some maintenance!!!! I haven't got time to go to the Bluff, so that was a bit of a bad start. Poor Sarah is a little surprised by the lack of civilisation round here (she did spend 5 months in Auckland which was quiet to her) - she thought we could at least get a post card at the top of the North Island, but there was no shop which astounded her.
We stayed in Whangerai (sorry about the incorrect speling, in a bit of a hurry!), and went to Whangarei Falls. Also went to the Whangerei Baptist church which was an interesting experience - I've never felt so old! But the freaky thing was that we'd seen their youth group up at the Cape the day before, weird.
We went to Bay of Islands to go see Dolphins, but sadly Orcha (Killer Whales, incorrectly named as they're actually big dolphins) were passing through so the dolphins were hiding as the Orcha diet consists of most sea creatures, including dolphin. But we did see some of the Orcha instead so that was cool.
I received a txt from Louisa's parents to say they were headed for Bay of Islands the day after us (we probably passed on the State Highway), and I then received another txt to hear they'd seen some, so I'm glad to hear the whales didn't eat them all! Louisa, while I remember, can you apologise to your folks if they didn't get any of my txts, or only some - my phone is not working well over here.
Ok, so after Whangerei we headed back down south, passing through Auckland to see Devonport (or is it Davenport?), so I saw the Sky Tower from another direction which was nice. We then headed for Taupo as we figured this would be pretty central (as central as you can get in NZ at least!). We headed for Rotorua to do some boring bits (like download my 500 photos onto CD). We also went to the Kiwi encounter & I went on the Luge - cool experience. Then went to the smelly park thing (the name escapes me right now, Wai-o-something or another), that was cool but we didn't really have time to finish it off, so we went back the next day to see the Geyser before headed for the Gloworm caves - cool as! Like little fairy lights, very sweet. Then headed to Palmerston North for the night (oh, we did see Lake Taupo briefly too), which brings us up to yesterday.
Today we've been to Wellington and I've been on the cable cars and then onto the tour of Parliament - I've just left Sarah in a museum while I'm here catching up on the net. Everything in the big cities seems to close really early though so I'll be going in a mo.
Quickly though, Granny's reading this??? I assume we aren't being rude about mum here are we!? Mum, don't worry about your lack of txting ability, I don't think anything I've sent has been of great relevence.
Helen & Gnome, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Gnome, sorry I couldn't get you a card from NZ - didn't want to risk the post.
We're off to the South Island tomorrow. Looking forward to that - should be cuz it's expensive to get there!
Right then, til next time, have a great week & take care.
Love, Peace & Jelly Babies,
Hannah
xXx
PS. Veggie Sushi is basically rice with veggies in - I'm not sure I'd have it that often, but at least I can add it to the list of things I've tried!

8 Comments:
If you and Sarah are sticking to racoons won't you begin to smell?
Racoons? Where are you now, America?! Possums are everywhere and are thoughtfully known as "Squashums" since there are an introduced species and all Kiwi's tell you that you are doing them a favour by running over 20 before you leave NZ. They are great to watch it not so great to live with. Go see the preserved section of road in Te Papa in Welly which has the remaisn of one stuck to it. Only in Nz!
Can't have been a possum - they're all in Fareham at the moment according the Echo yesterday...
Who'd have thought she'd have seen a kiwi at a kiwi encounter...now elephants at a kiwi engounter is more impressive (i'm asuming they were on holiday from africa or india)
Never mind, 500 photos down and shes only just starting really, so I can see this being a loooong photo pasing event.
Shhh!!! dont tell claire about the dolphins (;
No.
I'm not really reading this Hannah.
It's alright Claire read about the dolphins all by herself. (well there you go if anyone didn't know who sheepette was, they do now)
also i think a large bottle of wine/archers/milk and a photo evening sounds cool.
Hi Hannah,
Glad your having a fantastic time Can't wait to see these 1000s of pictures Don't forget the address for a postcard!!!
Steph xxx
When you finaly et to australia Hannah dont for get to look up at least a couple of the "big things" while your over there.
Post a Comment
<< Home