Saturday, October 30, 2010

Beyond Brisbane

Sophie had to work the day after our arrival and Dan was on nights when we arrived. That didn’t matter though, we hitched a ride with Dan to the city in order to have our consultation with the travel Dr to find out what injections we’d need for S.E. Asia.

A flu shot and several hundred dollars later we left the clinic with a few things to think about – were we to risk getting Japanese Encephalitis and Rabies? We were told that it’s low season for Japanese Encephalitis, and that we were far more likely to get Dengue fever from the pesky mosquitos, which has no vaccine or cure, so that was comforting! We were even (surprisingly) told we’d not need anti-malarials either, unless we wanted them.

After our cheerful news (the Rabies & J.E. are going to cost us a further £500ish), we headed out of the clinic and went into the city for a wander around the sights. We didn’t venture into the CBD (Central Business District) last time so this was new to Chris and good for me to see how things have changed in 5 years. The verdict? Not much! There were more things being built, a lack of exhibitions displaying Kylie’s outfits, and that’s about it. There did look to be a lot of new things getting developed though, and as such some of the views were slightly restricted.

The next day Sophie, Dan, Chris & I headed to Noosa. Noosa is a seaside tourist trap about 2 hours north of Brisbane, which Chris & I didn’t visit last time. I had a quick stop off here with Louisa 5 years ago, and again, the place hasn’t changed all that much. It seems tourism is a lucrative trade on the East Coast and little needs to be changed to keep it alive.

We spent a couple of hours on the lovely beach and even went in the sea! I also avoided sunburn so all-in-all it was a successful outing, although I discovered a thing called sea lice which weren’t so good – small little stings were received from what I assume were these creatures.

Yesterday was Sophie’s birthday, she survived the rock ‘n’ roll year of death so we went out for a yummy breakfast to celebrate! Then we headed to a shopping centre in one of the suburbs. It was a nice, relaxing day and so far we have been chilling out to the max in Queensland’s sunnier climate. Tomorrow Sophie is having a BBQ to celebrate her birthday, and then on Monday Chris and I have rented a car for a week to take us on mini road-trips between injections (we’re going for the safe-over-sorry method, for which I’m not sure my arm will forgive me as it’s still suffering from the simple flu-jab).

That brings you up to date with what has been happening in my world lately. How is everyone back home? Hope you are all well and aren’t too depressed by the prospect of gaining an hour’s sleep but losing an hour’s light.

Special ‘shout out’ to my Granny for her birthday, and Iain & Helen celebrating their anniversary. And to Matt S & Chris A (who I’ve already wished happy birthday to, but I’d hate you to feel left out)… I feel like I’m on the radio!

Take care y’all, until next time!
H
xXx

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Cummings said...

Hi Hannah,

Sounds like your having fun apart from those expensive flu jabs (ouch in more ways than one).

I've just used up an hour of my 2 hour bus journey to work catching up with your exploits.

From a very foggy road somewhere near Crediton, love, peace and expensive injections.

Chris.

1 November 2010 at 07:53:00 GMT  
Anonymous Sheepette said...

My sister wants to know, "howe long (if you don't include the time zones.) does it take to fly from London to OZ? "

I guess a better way of asking that would be How many hours does it take?

8 November 2010 at 15:13:00 GMT  
Blogger wobblepop said...

The flights range depending on who you go with & where they stop off to refuel. Minimum actual flying time I've experienced is about 22-23 hours (split over 2 flights). With stop-overs/re-fuelling included, it's usually around 24-26 hours total. plus the extra time in the airport before take-off of course!

Is she thinking of going??

8 November 2010 at 23:02:00 GMT  
Anonymous sheepette said...

no, Mark's just gone to America for the week and it was an 11 hour light, so she wandered how your's compared! as it is so much further away!

9 November 2010 at 17:03:00 GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home