Thursday, November 21, 2013

Malt Vinegar's a Marvellous Invention


A nice spot for lunch
My last couple of days in Brisbane were spent catching up and chilling out with my lovely friends here.  On Wednesday I met Dan for some lunch and we headed out to Redcliffe for some fish & chips.  Really tasty, but the Aussie's sure need to learn the wonder that is malt vinegar!  Dan showed me round some of the sights of the outskirts, including Portside Wharf, and we looked at all the lovely expensive houses I could buy if I win the lottery.  Note to self; start playing the lottery if you're ever going to have a hope of buying one of these places.  



One example of a fine Australian coffee
A milkshake and a coffee later and I was back at the hostel where I spent the evening with good intentions of making a start on my assignment.  As I sat down to read my book, an irritating dorm-mate who had not stopped talking since her arrival (to other people, on the phone) came to talk to me.  Solace never loses its appeal for me!  She doesn't think so though and is very homesick.  I actually ended up having quite a good chat with her and she even declined a phonecall in favour of talking to me.  High praise indeed!


That's popping candy on top. It popped as it got to me.
On Thursday I met up with the lovely Sophie and Todd.  We started as we meant to go on - a chocolate frenzy of a brunch!  Nom nom nom.  There's this place here, Max Brenner's, that does a lot of chocolate.  I guess it's kind of a cross between Thornton's/Hotel Chocolat and Sprinkles, but without the gelato and with extra servings of chocolate.  It's all rather yummy-looking.  I had a chocolate Explosion which literally exploded as it arrived at the table (I'm not sure that was meant to happen)!  
After our healthy brunch we headed into the Botanical Gardens and Todd had a play in the park before heading off for some lunch.  Yes, there's a bit of a food theme here but when you do food as well as the Aussie's, it's rude not to indulge a little... plus, I'm on holiday!!

I'm leaving town tonight, which is probably just as well as the Ashes are just about to begin in Brisbane and I'm not sure I can stomach the barmy army right now.  I'm headed to Darwin to meet Karen, the friend I've only met twice but feel like I've known a lifetime.  I've never been to Darwin before and I'm told it's going to be hot.  It's the Wet season so not an ideal time to go really, but what the heck, I come from England, I'm used to the rain!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home