Thursday, December 30, 2010

Why are they called Sandflies?

(5-6 December)

When we left Invercargill we got our first taste of a DOC campsite. These are campsites run by the Department of Conservation. As you might expect from the name, they are at one with nature (on the whole - I've since discovered some activists who disagree). Whilst everyone goes on about 'Freedom Camping' in NZ, it is not actively encouraged and I've met very few people who do it (in fact, I've met none, but I've heard one person talk about having done it).

One thing I notice about NZ is that everyone really respects the countryside. There's very little litter, very clear signs and just a great feel about the place. New Zealand is blessed with some stunning scenery, so the DOC set up various sites which range from basic to serviced in the heart of it. The prices range too from free to about NZD$14 per person (that's the most expensive I've seen). The basic is just that, you get a toilet of some description (usually a drop toilet - just a hole in the floor covered by a toilet base/seat), and perhaps some water from a stream or lake, maybe even a picnic table if you're lucky. On our way out of Invercargill we parked up at one such site, next to Lake Monowai. Honestly, the main reason we chose it was because it was free. But when we got there it turned out the view was quite nice too. We had fresh water in the car and a gas stove to cook with, so we decided to look out for more of these in future. It would be great if we could stay in DOC sites every day, but Chris and I are sharing the confined space of a car pretty much 24/7, so not having regular showers would not be fair to each other!

When we arrived at Lake Monowai, we had a lakeside view (ish), a toilet, a picnic bench and some fireplaces we could've used. However, as nice as the area was, we decided not to venture out the van too much. Or at least, not without our No-Fly-Zone gear and a hefty helping of deet on our exposed skin. The place was crawling with sandflies, despite being near no sand. New homework assignment: Can someone please explain the name!?

Anyhow, our first encounter of the DOC variety was very nice, although the sandflies will now be following us for some time as they're all up the West Coast which is the general direction we're heading. At least now we know what we're paying for when we go to more established sites (which are also very good, just more expensive than we'd realised).

NZ seems so geared up for the outdoor traveller - the managed sites all have power, kitchens, hot showers, flushing toilets and most even have TV rooms. Compared to the UK, NZ are really spoiling us.

Having said all that, I'm still all about the DOC sites now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home