Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Terrific Taupo

(31st December - 2nd January)

New year's eve is upon us already! We chose to splash out again, but not so much this time. We chose to get out the van and into a bunk room, which is basically a room with bunk beds. The site we chose was in Taupo, a little way from the centre. We'd heard there would be a free concert in town, so that was our plan to see in the new year. That was, until I managed to get a migraine. So my new year consisted of going to bed about 8ish and not getting up til early the next day. I did try to set my alarm to go off shortly before midnight but I got the times all wrong and didn't even notice the fireworks. So my apologies for the lack of New Year messages to you all. Let me make up for it now:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

On New Year's day we went and watched the sun set over Lake Taupo, which was a lovely scene. Chris made some friends with the local ducks and he'd even been for a swim in the lake during the day (I'd tried, but the duck feathers and skank put me off). There is also a natural hot water spring in part of the lake which we investigated, and enjoyed up until some little kids came and got in the way again.

Before leaving Taupo we went to the local church which was a bit bigger than we'd been to previously, and therefore we didn't get any invites to lunch! :o( We did learn some sad news though (we've been much more out of touch with current affairs in NZ). Apparently in one of the hot springs in NZ, a child had very recently died. They had managed to climb through one of the barriers. His brother helped him out from the hot spring but the burns were too severe and he later died from them (I think this is the jist of the story - feel free to look it up). Very sad indeed. So whilst I sincerely wish you all a very happy new year, to those of you who faithfully pray, please could I ask you to pray for the family of that child? I can't imagine it will be a happy one for them or what it would be like to lose a child, especially under such extreme circumstances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home