Tuesday, January 18, 2011

HOT water beach? Where's the hot water?

(5th - 6th January)

I am finally up to date with my blog! Only just over a week to go before we leave NZ, and I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to actually put the posts online, but please believe that I have achieved this!!!

Today we have been to Hot Water Beach in the Coromandels. This is a tourist attraction and we ummed and urred whether to even go as we thought it would be heaving. We risked it though, and it was the right thing to do with the weather as warm as it is - we'd been craving a beach and we found it here.

Let me explain the concept for those who've not been here. Basically, for 2 hours either side of low-tide, you can find an area of the beach, dig a hole til you get water, and then hey presto, you have your own hot spa pool. There are natural hot water springs under the sea which are revealed at low tide.

Chris and I hired a spade and joined the multitudes to dig ourselves a hole. Either we weren't doing it right, or everyone else was faking it. We found no hot water by digging a hole. Having said that, the springs are real alright. We just had to paddle a few feet into the sea to be presented with patches of sand beneath us burning our feet. I actually think that if we'd been successful we may have burnt ourselves anyhow, so perhaps we did ok not succeeding.

After our stint at the beach, we headed to nearby Cathedral Cove. Timed perfectly - just as we were leaving the vicinity of Hot Water Beach, we saw a bus load of people turn up. The guidebook had warned that Cathedral Cove would also be busy. Strangely, it was even busier than Hot Water Beach. I've yet to discover what's so amazing about it as we literally just took a quick scenic tour before we booked some accommodation for the night. We have decided to stay in the area so we can try our luck at the beach again tomorrow (even if we don't get hot water, the beach itself is actually quite nice) and also get up early to beat the crowds to the mystery of Cathedral Cove.

Hopefully I'll keep on top of the blog now and you'll be able to read all about this next part of our adventure very soon.

Until then, goodnight & stay safe!
xXx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home